All entries for October 2007
October 31, 2007
A number of people have reported that they are unable to transfer references from their EndNote Desktop account into their EndNote web account, because the Transfer option appears greyed out in the Tools menu. There are two possible solutions.
The first requires you to update your EndNote Desktop software to version X0.02 or later.
Updating EndNote Desktop
- Click on the Windows Start button
- Select All Programs > EndNote > Update Endnote.
- Wait for the update program to finish.
- Go to your EndNote Desktop library and click the Tools menu. If the Transfer References option is now available, you can use this. If the Transfer References option is still greyed out, you will need to use the process below.
- In your EndNote Desktop account, click the drop down menu for the Output Style box in the toolbar. Click on Select Another Style.
- In the Choose an Output Style box, select Refman (RIS) Output. Click Choose.
- In the Endnote meu bar, select File > Export and save the file in the normal way (make you save it as a text (.txt) file.
- Open your EndNote Web account and click the Collect tab, then select Import References.
- Click the Browse button to find the file you have just saved.
- Under Filter select RIS Format.
- Click on Import. Your references will be imported into the [Unfiled] folder
October 22, 2007
- Go to the Web of Knowledge web page. From off-campus, you will need to log in using your Athens username and password. If you are unsure how to do this, please see the Library's Off-campus Access page.
- Click the green button labeled Click here to access ISI Web of Knowledge.
- On the right hand side of the screen, click the option Register under Customize your experience.
- Type in the email address you wish to register your account with (this can be your Warwick email address or a personal one)
- Complete the registration form and choose a password.
Note: your password has to be at least 8 characters long, it must contain at least 1 letter, 1 number and 1 symbol. Refer to the Password Guidelines box on the registration page for help.
- Click the Submit Registration button.
- You can now use this same username and password to access EndNote Web.
October 18, 2007
If you want to import references you had stored in RefWorks into your EndNote Web account, there is a two stage process to follow.
Note: before completing this process, you will need to have created your EndNote Web account from a university PC.
Stage One: Saving your RefWorks references
- Log in to your RefWorks account.
- Click on the References menu and select Export.
- From the next screen ensure that the options All References and Bibliographic software (EndNote, Reference Manager) are selected. These should be the default options.
- Click Export to Text File.
- A save box should appear. If it does not, click on the link that reads Download it.
- A window listing your references appears. Click File in the Internet Explorer menu bar, then Save As...
- Choose where you would like to save the file. You can also rename it if you wish.
- Click Save.
Stage Two: Importing your references into EndNote Web
- Log in to your EndNote Web account.
- Click on the Collect tab.
- Click Import References.
- Click the Browse button and find the file you have just saved.
- Under Filter, select RIS Format.
- Click Import.
Welcome to the Library's EndNoteWeb blog. This blog will be used to provide help and tips in using the web version of the EndNote reference management software.
EndNote Web can help you manage the references you collect for your assignment and automatically format your bibliography into the referencing style required by your department (e.g. Harvard or Vancouver).
In the meantime, if you want to know more about the EndNote Web software, visit the Library EndNote Web webpages to help you get started.