All 2 entries tagged Engineering
View all 64 entries tagged Engineering on Warwick Blogs | View entries tagged Engineering at Technorati | There are no images tagged Engineering on this blog
October 31, 2016
Writing about web page http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/
Since the last post, the group has made some progress. We finalised a bill of materials and have ordered parts so that we can model and test the electronic components of the scooter.
Although we want to create as much freedom as possible with regards to the design aspect of the project, we felt it was best to specifically define the electronic components that would be available, making this project a design one from purely a mechanical stance.
Hopefully, the motor as well as the other necessary components should arrive soon so that we can realy begin to test our configuartion. One thing that was reall useful in the end was the discovery of a locally based (Coventry) parts supplier (www.petrolscooter.com), who just so happened to have exactly what we needed for our project. Hopefully this can develop into a long term partnership, especially if we require bulk orders once the project is rolled out to the 2nd Year students.
Until they arrive, however, we need to discuss the next steps in the plan. The group will be meeting as of the date of this post.
That's all in terms of an update for now. Until next time.
October 23, 2016
This is the first of hopefully a number of entries which aim to give anyone reading a little insight into what we're doing.
Our group (consisting of fourth year engineers of various disciplines) is working together, along with academics and staff of Warwick School of Engineering, to design and eventually implement a new assessed exercise for 2nd year Engineering students.
There was a lot of freedom with regards to what we could do, and of course too much choice can be both fantastic and agonising.
Wit input from our supervisor, we settled on the idea of a group project for roughly 35 groups of 5 2nd year students to be completed throughout the three term academic year. More specifically, however, the project be to design and build (to hopefully ride) an electric scooter as per a specification.
The results of a brief survey indicated that people wanted more electronics and creaitve design tasks... which was fortunate to say the least (as this was our initial intention)
Since then, we've decided on specifics and are now working towards creating a bill of materials. Hopefully, the task will engage students and offer challenges like what they'd face in industry. Another benefit is that this might beter prepare people for their third year project as they will have to innovate or think of similar solutions to inevitable hurdles.
We'll try to add more specifics as we make progress, but for now (for anyone reading) if there's anything you have to say, we welcome your comments.