All entries for Saturday 25 April 2009
April 25, 2009
Been struggling to keep up with demand for this recipe so here it is…Cake Ingredients
- 200ml/7floz Guinness beer
- 170g/6oz plain flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 290g/10oz light, soft brown sugar
- 60g/2oz cocoa powder
- 115g/4oz margarine
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp Guinness beer
- 115g/4oz icing sugar, sifted (Note: managed to omit this on one bake session and the cake still vanished just as quickly!?)
- 115g/4oz dark cooking chocolate
- 60g/2oz butter
- 1 pack ready-made white icing
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180oC, 350oF)
- Grease two non-stick, 8-inch baking tins.
- Mix margarine and sugar together in a bowl, then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Into a second bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Put the cocoa into a third bowl and stir in the Guinness (any surplus can be saved for more conventional use…).
- Fold a dollop of cocoa mixture into margarine/sugar followed by an equal amount of flour mixture. Repeat until completely mixed.
- Spread mixture into the two tins and bake for 30-35 minutes. Leave to cool while you chill out with a cold glass of Guinness :o)
- Melt dark chocolate, then mix in Guinness (why not drink the leftovers?)
- Beat in the butter, leave to cool for 5 minutes, then beat in the icing sugar.
- Before icing has cooled, use it to sandwich the two cake layers, using the rest for the top and sides.
Finally, for that authentic Guinness look, cover the top with white icing, leave to set, tuck in.
Best shared with friends – enjoy :o)