Half–price, my arse…
The Times has fallen for Tesco’s boast of a 50% off sale starting tomorrow.
- Isla Negra Cabernet Sauvignon Was £7.49 now £3.74
- Tesco Oak Smoked Scottish Salmon 400g Was £10.98 now £5.49
- Tesco Creamy Brie 350g Was £2.69 now £1.34
- David Beckham – Instinct After Dark 30ml – Was £17.50 now £8.75
- Tesco Finest Crackers Was £20 now £10
- Boxed Cards – all lines Half Price
Let me translate.
If you bought any of these things today, yesterday or last week, you were mugged.
Isla Negra Cabernet Sauvignon, for instance, should never have been sold at £7.49. In fact, it probably wasn’t in very many stores. But that daft price point allows Tesco to claim that the new £3.74 price represents ‘half’ of something. ASDA were selling it for £3.33 the whole time.
Vinegar Perfume – Which mugs bought it for £17.50? Other shops were selling it for £9.79 all along.
Boxed cards and Crackers – Tesco’s probably realised many people have already bought their stash for this year and they’ve got a tonne left over.
Tesco Creamy Brie – go and look at a supermarket comparison website. Like the wine, it was overpriced in the first place.
How long before people get wise to this nonsense?