All entries for Saturday 18 February 2006
February 18, 2006
A.K.A. Things i learnt today whilst not watching Final Destination on TV…
- 14 members of the new Palestininan parliament had to be sworn in via videolink… because they're in jail.
- It looks unlikely the New Orleans levee will be repaired in time for the next hurricane season, and even if it is the levees aren't being constructed properly – according to prominent engineers.
- We're not the only ones struggling to pay council tax – in the US, rising house values mean higher property tax, so people are constantly trying to downsize.
- President Bush has at last realised the African Union isn't managing to keep the peace in Darfur and is calling for a doubling of the international peacekeeping force.
- VW's announcement that 20,000 jobs will go and that the remaining workers will have to work longer – for no extra pay – made their share price shoot up 15%.
- London accounts for 18% of Britain's GDP.
- eBay has 181,000,000 registered users.
Why is there another (supposedly bigger) protest in London today against the cartoons that were printed in foreign newspapers?
While I have some – conditional – sympathy for their cause, there was one last weekend, and hasn't the story passed now?