All entries for Thursday 11 November 2010
November 11, 2010
The recent Comprehensive Spending Review has triggered a couple of strategic documents on the future of arts funding in the UK. From the DCMS, a Business Plan for 2011-2015which talks in vague terms about a huge range of areas from Olympics through libraries to arts funding. Those who've been following the pronouncements of Jeremy Hunt won't be surprised to hear that the main plank in the arts & culture world is to encourage a "culture of giving". My favourite line is
"We want to see our cultural institutions adapt their business models, liberating them (my italics) to raise and spend money as they see fit"
According to the timeframe, we can expect to see proposals in December 2010 for how they will incentivise giving from individuals to cultural institutions.
Meanwhile, Arts Council England brought out "Achieving great art for everyone: a strategic framework for the arts", based on a consultation process earlier this year. Some key points:
- A mixed economy of funding
- Re-affirmation of the arm's length principle - "not short-term instrumentalism" driven by politicians
- Support for "original, innovative & artistically ambitious ... work"
- Encouragement to pool resources, build collaboration & partnerships
- Importance of involvement in the arts from an early age