All entries for Sunday 02 August 2009
August 02, 2009
Tried an HF holiday for the first time this year – one week walking in Soelden in the Austrian Tyrol. A very enjoyable week – beautiful scenery (snowy peaks, glaciers, meadows of pretty flowers, pine forests), great walking (although I discovered how unfit I am despite all the swimming! I just don’t use my leg muscles enough usually, and the Tyrolean mountains are very steep!) and a nice and friendly group of people to walk with. Incredible food (and menus – see below). Und ganz schoen wieder mal deutsch zu sprechen!
More photos in the folder on the left (seven folders all beginning with “Austria – July – 2009”) – just a selection below. Of course, these are just views – what you’ve got to imagine is the clanking of goat bells, the gurgling streams and the pure, fresh air…
Soelden is in the Oetz Valley – where Oetzi the ice man was found in September 91.
The area also boasts Tyrol’s highest waterfall – Stuibenfall which at 159m (and a huge amount of rain the night before I visited) was indeed very impressive.
The food was incredible – huge buffets at breakfast (which we could choose from for the picnic lunch too) and 5 course meals in the evening. The translations were sometimes rather literal – see the selections below.
- Consomme of deer with farce dumpling, small diced vegetables perfumed with port wine
- Filet of pangasius fish with leek-vegetables, rice, safran sauce
- Parfait of sorrel on raspberry coulis
- Tureen of mushrooms with cranberry-pepper sauce
- Cream soup of spinach with backed alpine cheese dumpling
- Duet of sheep on savoy cabbage vegetables with polenta souffle
- Compote of perch and shrimps in spicy potatoes-vegetables sauce
- Backed vegetables on salad and sauce remoulade
- Variation of national and international cheese from the buffet
- Mild cream soup of garlic with Zacarelli (almond – parmesan gnocchi)
- Roast Angus beef on green asparagus, potatoes loaves, sauce Choron
- Soup of Sheep with its raviolo and vegetables perfumed with Sherry
- Filet of tilapia on beans puree, chorizo-chips
- Emince of red game in orange-pepper sauce, curd cheese gnocchi
- Medaillons of turkey hen on zucchini vegetables and tagliatelle gorgonzonla cream sauce
- Small chocolate cakes with chocolate sauce and whipped foam