If I were suddenly going to college in a place where I do not speak the language, I imagine would feel isolated and confused. This would be a stressful experience as I would be worrying about how much of the lesson I might mis-understand due to the language barrier. It would also be difficult in terms of forming supporting social networks.
As a teacher looking to support EAL students in the classroom,
- I would establish a buddy system wherein confident English speakers support EAL students.
- Provide a first language/English dictionary for students to consult.
- Respect pupil’s right to a ‘silent period’ (if they are new to the country)
- Provide opportunities for speaking and listening in groups
- Give students the opportunity to write in their first language
- To share their first language with the class
- Us e key visuals
- Oral and written modelling of sentence structures
- The use of writing frames
- Setting differentiated homework