Weapons out of Warwick Press Release
25th of February 2008
Weapons out of Warwick Protest
On Wednesday the 27th of February there will be a student protest at the University of Warwick. Members of the student Campaign Against the Arms Trade (CAAT) group and People and Planet society will be dressing up as arms dealers and raising awareness about the presence of arms companies at the university and their negative affects. The group is urging the University to:
1. Adopt an ethical and socially responsible investment strategy and disinvest any shares in arms companies they may have.
2. Cease participation in military and arms company research which does nothing to improve our society.
3. Stop promoting arms companies at student recruitment events.
The protest will be part of a national day of action against the arms trade organised by CAAT and People and Planet with other protests happening at Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, UCL, Leeds and Newcastle universities.
1. The protest will start at 12 noon in the University of Warwick Piazza.
2. Campaign Against the Arms Trade (CAAT) works for the reduction and ultimate abolition of the international arms trade.
3. Students at the University of Warwick have held 3 separate protests this academic year against the university promoting arms companies at student careers fairs. The companies included BAE systems, Rolls Royce, QinetiQ, Thales, General Electric, MBDA and DSTL. At the most recent careers fair protest 11 students appeared in the careers fair dressed as grim reapers in order to draw attention to the deadly nature of the arms companies’ activities.
4. The University of Warwick Student Union has a policy of giving full support to students protesting against arms companies on campus.
5. The University of Warwick has received more that £5.2 Million for 46 research projects for arms companies including BAE and Rolls Royce according to the recent Study War No More report made by CAAT the Fellowship of Reconciliation. The full report can be obtained at http://www.studywarnomore.org.uk/.
6. UK Universities hold over £240 Million of shares in arms companies. Further information on the campaign for clean investment at universities is available at http://www.caat.org.uk/campaigns/unis0708/clean-investments.php
7. Spokespeople from CAAT and the student group are available for comment.
Barnaby Pace (University of Warwick Student organiser)
Symon Hill (Campaign Against the Arms Trade Media Co-ordinator)
020 7281 0297 or 07990 673 232