All entries for Monday 14 November 2011
November 14, 2011
P1 Workshop – An Introduction to Skills Development and the Warwick Skills Portfolio – First Entry
P1 Workshop - Tutor: Dr. Amanda Randall Entry on: 14/11/2011
This is my first blog entry ever ---> Pretty excited!!!!
The P1 Workshop of the Warwick Skills Portfolio Awards was a great start to a series of workshops i'm looking forward to attending. Being a Masters student of Biotechnology, Bioprocessing and Business Management, i am quite tied for time, but to attend atleast 6 workshops, is a choice i made. The six that i have decided upon, as of now are:
- P1 - An Introduction to Skills Development
- A4 - Effective Learning Strategies
- A5 - An Introduction to Critical Thinking
- A6 - Academic Writing at Masters Level
- A7 - Speedy Reading
- P8 - Leading a Group Project
The first workshop I attended was the P1 workshop on 7/11/2011. The atmosphere was great. A lot of curious, excited faces. We recieved a warm welcome from Dr. Randall, our tutor for that evening and after a series of interactive excercises, the entire crowd seemed to become comfortable with each other. It was nice to see a diverse group of attendees. The workshop taught me a alot about myself; made me thing about my life; what i'm doing well and what i'm not. It gave me an insight on what kind of learner i am, theorist, which was pretty suprising because I most certainly am not! At the end of the workshop, we were asked to come up with a few things that we would consciously want to make an effort to improve, so these were the few Action Points i came up with:-
- Look for new things to do - Status: Working on it
- Try sticking to a routine schedule to stick to, for a better, disciplined lifestyle - Status:Working on it
- Evaluate ideas before proposing them - Status:Working on it
- Be an effective listener; i.e. listen carefully to the details of what people have to say - Status:Working on it
- Attend the Speedy Reading workshop - Status: Completed (Attended the one on 11/11/2011)
- Attend atleast two other workshops before Term 2 begins* - Status:Working on it
* I have decided to attend the ones on Leading a Group Project (P8) and Critical Thinking (A5) on the 12th and 13th of December, 2011 respectively.
So these were the action points i took home from the first workshop and i will strive to achieve each and every one of them, to make myself a better person and make it all worth it, in the long run.
If you are curious as to whether i'm just a talker or i will actually work on my action points, watch out for my next blog...soon!!!
Have a lovely week.