All entries for Wednesday 14 December 2005

December 14, 2005

Giving credit

Follow-up to Sod's Law and its Corollaries or The Twelve Laws of Inaccurate Perception from Ankit's Reserve of General Mediocrity

By the way, "Sod's Law…" was obtained from a facinating website and magazine called "The Heretic". Thank you indeed.

I would recommend a visit to the main directory, but brace yourself, it's not called The Heretic for no reason:


The Execution Of Stanley Tookie Williams III

I am sure everyone must have heard the above name – he was an ex-gangster executed on December 13th. I, for one, rejected all the calls for clemency in this case. The fact of the matter is that while I am mostly against the death penalty, I do not believe for a moment that this man deserved any kind of consideration for his anti-gangster stance in later life.

The following is taken from Wikipedia (link):

"Stanley Tookie Williams III (December 29, 1953 December 13, 2005) was the co-founder, with Raymond Washington, of the widely known and notorious Crips street gangs.

While in prison, Williams maintained his innocence, refused to aid police investigations with any information against his gang, and was involved in attacks on guards and other inmates as well as multiple escape plots. In 1993, Williams began making drastic changes in his behavior, and became an anti-gang activist while on Death Row in California, renouncing his gang affiliation and apologizing for the Crips' founding. He co-authored children's books and began programs to prevent youths from joining gangs."

Never mind the idea that a man can change, doesn't matter if he somehow metamorphosed into a Saint, he must do his time for his crimes, which involve shooting a 76 year old Taiwanese immigrant and his 63 year old wife for $100. Before this he had shot twenty-six year old Albert Lewis Owens in the back of his head at point-blank range even though Owens hadn't even seen his face to identify him…for $120.

Williams was invovled in more than 10 separate incidents of violence IN PRISON, even until 1993, the time of his miraculous change of heart. This man deserved no clemency.

Sod's Law and its Corollaries or The Twelve Laws of Inaccurate Perception

* SOD'S LAW, ALSO KNOWN AS MURPHY'S LAW. If anything can go wrong, it will.

* O'TOOLE'S COMMENTARY ON MURPHY'S LAW. Murphy was an optimist.

* THE FIRST COROLLARY TO SOD'S LAW. Anything that is to go wrong will do so at the worst possible moment.

* THE UNSPEAKABLE LAW. As soon as you mention something, if it's good, it goes away; if it's bad, it happens.

* NON-RECIPROCAL LAWS OF EXPECTATIONS. Negative expectations yield negative results. Positive expectations yield negative results.

* HOWE'S LAW. Every man has a scheme which will not work.

* ZYMURGY'S FIRST LAW OF EVOLVING SYSTEM DYNAMICS. Once you open a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is to use a larger can.

* SKINNER'S CONSTANT. The quantity which must be multiplied by, divided by, added to or subtracted from the answer you get to give the answer you should have got.

* LAW OF SELECTIVE GRAVITY. An object will fall so as to do the most damage.

* JENNING'S COROLLARY. The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.

* BARTH'S DISTINCTION. There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types and those who do not.

* NINETY-NINETY RULE OF PROJECT SCHEDULES. The first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

* FARBER'S RULE. Necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows.

December 2005

Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
|  Today  | Jan
         1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31   

Search this blog


Most recent comments

  • I am a journalism student at UCLAN 2007/2008 and doing a story on the challenges international stude… by Jane on this entry
  • I believe that to call him a killer and a bad person and then commit the same act he did is hypocrit… by eboni on this entry
  • I agree there is racism here and there, but that's not what caused this incident. Do not forget that… by on this entry
  • I find it difficult to understand how Ankit can say Prestons violence is not rooted in racial hatred… by Polly on this entry
  • I will definitely visit Preston again. I spent a semester abroad there in 1995 at UCL. I live in the… by Jess Wilson on this entry

Blog archive

Not signed in
Sign in

Powered by BlogBuilder