What is Quality?
- The word “QUALITY” is broadly used in broad areas and carries numerous definitions.
- To a layman, what is meant by QUALITY is probably associated with grade, luxury, or degree of “goodness” of a product or service provided.
- From a customer’s perspective, QUALITY is defined as “conformance” to customers’ requirements, and doing it right the first time” (Crosby, 1980; Feigenbaum, 1986; Besterfield et al., 1995).
- In other words, Quality “concerns, reliability, consistency, speed of delivery, accuracy of invoice, courtesy of telephone answering, value of information given, reputation of the company, and etc.” (Oakland, 1993).
- From my owned perspective quality is something correlated with fit for the purpose.
What is Reliability?
- It represent element of time for effective accuracy and percision of a service or product. Knowing and understand the priciple of reliability is crucial so that effective maintainance program can be designed.
Figure 1.1: Application of Reliability in Service Sector (Vehicle Inspection Equipment)