All entries for Saturday 07 January 2012
January 07, 2012
Writing about web page http://www.draknek.org/games/starfield/
Created for: TIGJam UK5 (15th – 17th July)
Development time: 5-6 hours
Status: Done, but could be improved
Play online (with a friend)
A collaboration with Phillip Webster at TIGJam UK5.
It’s a strategic two-player competitive game, with a similar feel to a certain family of boardgames. You’re trying to connect your two sides of the screen while your opponent is simultaneously trying to connect his.
I’m pretty sure it was Ruari O’Sullivan who came up with the rule that a star with (n) connections can capture a star with (n-1) connections. This made the game much more interesting, but unfortunately there’s nothing in the game which explains that this rule exists.
There’s also another rule that the two endpoints of your opponent’s last go cannot be captured, which was added after playtesting. This feels very arbitrary to me, I don’t like it much. But I’m sure there was a good reason for adding it.
I suspect the rules can be simplified/improved. More playtesting needed!
Apologies to Jason Rohrer for the name.
Writing about web page http://www.draknek.org/games/parasite/
Created for: Ludum Dare 20 (30th April – 1st May)
Development time: 48 hours + several weeks working on extra enemies
Theme: It’s Dangerous to go Alone! Take this!
Status: Early days
Taking part in Ludum Dare from Cambridge again, I came up with this idea on the train on the way there.
I had a couple of concerns with the idea: first that it wouldn’t be fun and second that it would require way too much art. Managed to be convinced that I should give it a shot though, and Dock suggested an amazing art restriction to try out.
The restriction: all characters use just black, white and one other colour. I also used Arne’s 16 colour palette. I think the result is the best-looking game I’ve ever made (admittedly, not saying much).
For the Ludum Dare deadline I only managed to get two enemies implemented, which was a bit disappointing and not really enough to prove the idea. I started working on an improved version and got a bit carried away drawing new sprites, never getting around to making any new puzzles for them. Here they are:
I was also in contact with a musician, but progress on my part has been too slow for it to be worth him starting anything.
The plan is to work on this some more, on and off over the next few months. I don’t expect to have anything finished by then, but I would like more idea about how big a project this will end up being.