Document Management System? Here is a free one!
Writing about web page http://www.knowledgetree.com/opensource
For whoever doesnt know whats a DMS (Document Management System), a DMS is a system that is being used in organization or work area in order to make it easier for team members or employees to manage documents easier, this is done by what is called a Document Management System.
Some Benefits of DMS's
Not all DMS's have the same features, but here are some of the features that I think are nice:
- Helps Organizations Manage and control thier Documents.
- Ability to control versoning of the documents, so if you added something to a previous file, then it's considered a new version.
- Give Permissions depending on the user, so if there is a section for Top Management's documents and information storage, peopel not related to this section will not be able to access it.
- Easier way to share files, a user from HR department could easily share something to colleague in another department if the section the file is added to is open for access.
- Some systems gives you a nice feature which is meta tags and keywords, so you could give keywords or tags for easier searching.
- Ability to Edit/Update files on the system without the need to download and edit and reupload.
- Control contributions to some sections by having all submitions to go through a specific Moderator.
- Some systems provides further collaboration tools.
Knowledge Tree DMS
While I was working in my administration in Saudi Arabia, I made myself respnosible about improving our work in the administration to make it as effective as possible by the use of different systems.
I tried implementing Knowledge Tree DMS Free edition in one of the administration's PC's for testing, and it was installed easily.
I then went on with testing the system to see how user-friendly it is, and I think it's very easy to use.
I didn't have enough time to continue with the implementation of the system, since I was very busy with other main tasks.
My Opinion about Knowledge Tree DMS
I think it's good if you are an Organization looking for such systems to implement to take a look and test KTDMS system, as it's free, easy to install and have loads of features that could be more than enough for your organization.
I personally recommend every organization small or medium to take a quick look and study this sytem, in order to determine if the features already in the system is enough or not for the organization, if it's not enough, you will find additional features in the commercial version. If you didn't like the commecial version as well, then you have some kind of idea of what features you could really use, and search for these features in your next tested system.
I dont think there is any issues of using the Free Open Source version of the system, but this version is supported by the community, in other way, there is no official support, but I think if you are a Small-Medium organization and this is enough for you, it would be easy to fix any issues if you have someone with OK knowledge with such systems, which is much better than having to pay a lot more, just for the support that you will rarely need.