All entries for Monday 20 March 2006
March 20, 2006
Writing about web page http://go.warwick.ac.uk/skills
I've just spent most of the day trying to write down everything that I do in my job so that when I leave on Friday, no one will miss me (in a work sense)
I've come to the conclusion that I'm only a project planner in my head, as I could write down everything that is sorted and needed to be sorted out by Rich and Kay for Warwick Shootout, but until now there was no written form of it!
My Competitive Streak
I think I'm designed to hold mental lists in my head…guess that's the computer scientist in me, or maybe it was the vast amount of card/strategy games I played when I was little which made me do calculations and remember things to win. Who knows…
Light at the end of the tunnel
Anyway – the "Warwick Shootout Guide" is now sitting happily on our shared drive and I've only got to write the "What I do for "Warwick Skills" Guide" now…
The hidden student
Over lunch Kay sent Rich, Graham and I out to the Suppliers' fair to see
who we could find with useful services what free stuff we could obtain for Warwick Skills, or Warwick Shootout . With a combination of flirting, explaining to a lot of stands that we weren't students and were genuinely interesting in what they had to offer, waving of staff badges and corporate speak we managed to find:
- A possible jazz band for Warwick Shootout – although we all agreed that Rich was a better sax. player!
- A chocolate fountain – which we just had to test…
- Good Fairtrade wine – tested by Rich and Graham as alcohol doesn't like me
- Free paper – always useful
- A company to make us a posh display – Kay likes these as they 'pops up like an umbrella'
- A diary / notepad making company
- A cuddly dog – a great pillow for those of us who had a cheese and chocolate overdose
- A cuddly frog – to make our kissing frog couple* a threesome
- 5 bananaleaf boats, which we filled with the free sweets from Unitemps
- An exciting looking tin box, disappointingly hiding only a keyring
*Come to visit our office space and you can see what I mean