All entries for Wednesday 28 September 2005
September 28, 2005
In the light of The Other, Other Natalie's article last week, time at last for an explanation of the Syncspeed title.
It's actually not all that exciting… it's closely derived from a photographic term, synch. speed, the shutter speed at which a camera will synchronise with a flash unit mounted to it. But the name sets off all sorts of connotations and associations in the brain – at least in mine – which I hope are replicated with some of you. How about, in increasing order of pretentiousness:
- The photographic etymology being a fairly obvious link back to my artistic leanings
- "Speed" being a reference to my love of motor racing
- The happy accident of the name beginning with my initials (well, sort of; "spjyncspeed" would be silly)
- "Sync" a reference to my photography, conveying that the content is in sync, in touch, with what it portrays
- The 'camera flash' concept of freezing and capturing one frozen moment with clarity (again photographically)
(Don't say I didn't warn you about the pretentiousness). Incidentally, this blog will become significantly more photographic in a couple of months when I start scanning lots of my old negatives for archiving.
It seems that since I came up with the name (in the Christmas holidays 2002–3 I believe – I can prove it!), someone else has been having similar thoughts. If you take syncspeed and put a .com on the end of it, you'll find the professional blog of an Australian CEO… with strong interests in motorsport and photography!