All entries for Friday 15 August 2008
August 15, 2008
Well, it’s been a while. Sorry about that folks!
Since new year the Music Centre has done so much stuff it’s been all too much for yours truly to actually remember to blog about (I know, I have failed you all… but be patient, I’ve been concentrating my time on good things that will benefit you all, so it’s not all bad!)
So, Spring Term… highlights:
- One World Week – lots of group performances from the Music Centre groups
- Wind Orchestra performed with 200 or so school children in “Yanomamo”
- Brass Band welcomed back legendary Tuba player Steve Sykes to perform with them in their concert
- Symphony Orchestra and Chorus put on a stunning performance of Verdi’s Macbeth Opera (as concert performance) and welcomed international soloists to perform the lead roles, as well as impressive performances from our own students!
- MTW put on Little Shop of Horrors in the Cooler which was recieved with great enthusiasm
...and loads more besides!Summer Term highlights:
- WSAF (Warwick Student Arts Festival) – lots of great performances there
- NOT Strictly Come Dancing! – a fantastic disco of live music, followed with a ceiligh and finishing with a giant conga stretching around the entire inside of the Arts Centre!
- Carmina Burana performed by the Symphony Orchestra and Chorus featuring Telford Junior school as the children’s choir, plus Shostakovic’s symphony No 10
- Into the Woods performed to sell out audiences from MTW – they also managed to put on “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”
- Big Band leavers gig – described as the best gig ever heard, the Big Band’s annual leavers gig went down a storm!
- Chamber Choir charity concert for Joe Homan charity – raised over £600!
...and that was while we were trying to revise…!
Big Band, Chamber Choir & Brass Band have all toured this summer and Big Band are once again attending the Alma Jazz festival in September. The Brass Band are off to Harrogate for the National Finals as well so there’s been plenty of action over the last few months!!
Looking forward to the new term – Free Concert 7th October in the Student Union Tent (more details to follow), Dido and Aeneas by Warwick Student Opera, Chamber Choir and Chorus in Coventry Cathedral and much much more!!