Writing about web page http://ellielovell.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/25-things-you-didnt-need-to-know-about-me/
Ok, so here's a daft meme that got passed on to me by Ellie (and about 20 other people on Facebook).
1. I am currently trying to buy a house. I've not actually got very far with the whole process, but at least I've made up my mind that I actually do want to buy one.
2. I'm extremely loyal to anything I'm a part of, to the point where sometimes I am blindly loyal to things that might not deserve it.
3. I try to see the best in everyone and a lot of people have called me naïve. In a lot of ways, I guess I am!
4. I was raised as a Catholic and I go to church occasionally when I'm back home with my family. When it comes to my own beliefs, over the past year I've moved more towards an agnostic view.
5. When I was at University I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
6. I have a younger brother and a younger sister. When I told a therapist I was a first child, she called me "Mummy and Daddy's little experiment". Nice.
7. I am a complete nerd and I love creating things. I used to make small text adventures (in QBasic) on my computer when I was only 7 or 8 years old. When I was at University, I set up my own company to program websites for people, and I helped set up (and became president of) the Video Game Design Society. When I graduated I went to work for the University to develop their blogging software (that'd be this) and work on a content management system. I see myself as a very creative person, and by writing software I see myself as expressing that.
8. I like to organise and be in control of things. I ran to be Head Boy when I was in school (though my teachers convinced me to drop out and concentrate on my A-Levels); I've run 3 or 4 web gaming communities with over 100 people in them; I became president of the Video Game Design Society. One day, I see myself in a management role.
9. Despite being mocked for liking large swathes of pop music, I used to sing and play keyboard, and I have qualifications in music theory.
10. I am a massive fan of Oasis, but my music taste seems to spread every year. I'll enjoy pretty much anything I can sing along to, but I'll also enjoy classical and electronic music that I can't!
11. I am a fanatical Formula 1 fan. I have in the past sold programmes at the gate at the British Grand Prix in order to be able to be there, and ended up bribing two stewards in order to get into the VIP viewing areas just before the race.
12. I love football but don't particularly follow one club. I generally support Manchester United as I went to see 6 or 7 of their games when I was growing up, but I also look out for Mansfield (my home town, so to speak) and Ebbsfleet, as I am a member of MyFootballClub and as such own a stake them.
13. I consider myself to be an utterly lazy individual - it's hard to stop being lazy when you're too lazy to stop yourself...
14. I always thought that I was extremely clever in school - I got the best GCSE results of any boy in our school out of 500 people. When I got to Warwick, I realised that compared to my friends and the people in my year, I was very, very average.
15. If I could change one thing at the University, I would merge the online communications team with the web development team, since it seems strange to have the people who work on the University web site separate to the people developing it.
16. I worked for 6 weeks in China helping to write memorandums of understanding (a formal "gentleman's agreement") between Chinese suppliers and a large multi-national. I travelled around large parts of China and loved the culture there (and a food!)
17. I once wrote a novella about a young pixie named Sera. It was terrible.
18. I am constantly frustrated by poor speaking skills where I mumble or slur my words. Unintentional, sorry!
19. I used to play cricket (medium pace right arm bowler, genuine number 11 batsman) and rugby (tighthead prop) for my school. I once dropped a very simple catch on the boundary that would have won my form the competition in an inter-form competition, and was promptly beat on for it.
20. I get very angry when I don't think other people are pulling their weight or are being knowingly ignorant.
21. My name is Mathew, with one 't'. It's something interesting and different about me, and it's why I don't like it when people call me 'Matt' instead of 'Mat'. My sister is called Kendal, so obviously my parents had some hang-up on weird names.
22. I am extremely close to my immediate family.
23. The fact that my mum's on Facebook creeps me out. Not in a bad way, but it's just odd.
24. I didn't get in to rock music until I heard Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' in around 2000. Before then I'd never paid much attention to music other than pop music on the radio or stuff that I'd been bought on CD (other than Oasis)
25. I liked (Professional) Wrestling for a lot longer than I'm proud of.
Apparantly I have to pass this on to 25 people. If you're reading this entry, then one of those people is YOU.