January 11, 2008

Progress Report and First release

I believe it's probably about time I released the progress report. Here it is: progress_report.pdf

Then I am also pleased to announce the first increment of PSALM can be released!

Download PSALM First Increment here (ZIP, ~190kb)

To run it and find instructions for use, please refer to the instructions for the prototype.
This version now displays chords correctly (hooray!), using a handy free monospaced font (Bitstream Vera Sans Mono) that I think will be used for the final release as I think its pretty clear. If you want to change the way the chords are displayed (e.g. the colour or font), please edit the psalm.css file, which should be fairly obvious how to edit, especially if you have used CSS before.

The add/edit/remove song features all now work - although please note that if you download this in the next few hours, this version will actually write to a different file (appending an 'a','e' or 'r' to the filename) than the original loaded database. This, together with a few minor things will be fixed in the next few days. I'll post again to let you know when this is done. 

Please let me know if you have any problems installing/using this, feedback is much appreciated.


- 3 comments by 2 or more people Not publicly viewable

  1. Steve Rumsby

    Chords aren’t displayed in the right place for me. The spacing seems to drift slowly left, so that chords are displayed a little to early, getting earlier as you go further along the line. Seems like the font spacing for the chords is just a little wrong. Like this:

    14 Jan 2008, 13:29

  2. Ah… thank you. The font hasn’t been picked up. I’ll have a look at what needs to be done.

    14 Jan 2008, 14:36

  3. It appears that when I tested PSALM, the computer that I tested it on already had the Bitstream Vera font I was using, when I hadn’t realised this. So I assumed it was working correctly :/
    There doesn’t seem to be a way of referring the CSS (see psalm.css in the PSALM directory) to a locally held font that is not installed in the system font directory. @font-family and various things have been proposed/dropped/etc in the standards, but the Java components being used in PSALM don’t support any of them anyway. Any sneaky suggestions are welcome ;)

    For the moment, I have at least fixed PSALM to display a monospace font, which although ugly does correctly lay out the lyrics & chords. The Bitstream Vera font I want to use (which is free by the way) is included in the PSALM zip download, so to get PSALM displaying it correctly, follow the directions in the readme on how to install a font to your system directory.

    This issue may have to be left unresolved for the sake of progress elsewhere as it looks like I could spend a lot of time I don’t have trying to fix it. Sorry.

    14 Jan 2008, 20:59


Add a comment

You are not allowed to comment on this entry as it has restricted commenting permissions.

Trackbacks

January 2008

Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
Dec |  Today  | Feb
   1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31         

Search this blog

Blog archive

Loading…

Most recent comments

  • Congrats for ur final report,, I dinn have ne problem veiwing the report, its seems to be gud,, ..! … by Veda Informatics on this entry
  • By the way, if you have any problems with viewing the report, or in using PSALM, please still let me… by on this entry
  • It appears that when I tested PSALM, the computer that I tested it on already had the Bitstream Vera… by on this entry
  • Ah thank you. The font hasn't been picked up. I'll have a look at what needs to be done. by on this entry
  • Chords aren't displayed in the right place for me. The spacing seems to drift slowly left, so that c… by Steve Rumsby on this entry

James Williams

Not signed in
Sign in

Powered by BlogBuilder
© MMXIV