Kwame Ferriera: Mobile to Web and back
1st wave of social networks – forums, message boards
2nd wave – make friends through friends
3rd wave – tool assisted, as networks start to get more meaning
- The real mobile social netowork is the phone’s address book
- The networked computer is where the social networking revolution is currently happening, but 85% of the world doesn’t have this. As phones become networked mobile computers, there will be an explosive expansion of social networking
- Cellphones revolutionised communication; portable computing will do the same
- social networks are currently too geeky; they require you to be sat down and on your own. portable computing allows you rely on bodies rather than on screens.
- Killer app for geeks: Where the application layer can make inferences based on social data
- Killer app for normal people: When you meet someone, how can the mobile help? could the phone gather social network data from people who are close?
- Casual Computing: Quicker, more engaging. People won’t dedicate as much attention to mobile devices as they do when sat in front of a computer
- search centric – as device storage increases, search-based navigation is more important