How to make Ping! work for Jailbroken and Unlocked iPhones
Hello all. I am sure we are all excited about the new application, Ping! Finally, there is nothing the Blackberry can do that the iPhone cannot do (better).
For those who do not know, Ping! is a new BBM-like (Blackberry Messenger) iPhone application, available in the App store that allows to send instant messages to any iPhone in the world without the cost of SMS or data. It sends messages through WiFi or Edge.
I am currently using an Unlocked and Jailbroken iPhone 2G with firmware 3.0
Now, to the real issue...
If you were having the "Connecting, Please Wait" message forever while trying to start the Ping! application, this solution is for you. For any other problems, please feel free to comment below and I will respond as swiftly as possible.
The problem is with the inabilty for unlocked and/or jailbroken iPhones to have a fully functional 'Push' notification system. Although it might appear to have a proper Push feature when you got to Settings and then Push Notifications, this is only deceitful.
This solution applies to windows users only. If you use a MAC, please bear with me as I am writing upan alternative solution in the next few hours.
Before following this steps please make sure you have uninstalled Ping! from your iPhone.
First Step: Fix Push Notification System
In order to do this:
- First download WinSCP here for windows on your PC
- Make sure you have OpenSSH installed on your iPhone:
- To do this, open Cydia and touch on “Search” tab and then search for “OpenSSH”
- Install OpenSSH and reboot your iPhone.
- Connect your iPhone with your computer. Make sure iTunes is not running
- Start WinSCP from your Windows PC and enter the following details in the program to log in to your phone:
- Hostname: The IP address for your iPhone. From Settings–> WiFi –> <Your Network Name>.
- User name : root
- Password : alpine
- Protocol : SCP
- Once you have logged in, browse to /Private/var/Keychains directory on your iPhone.
- Download PushFix.zip (here).
- Extract the files(nimble and inject) from the PushFix folder and copy them to your iPhone in this directory: /Private/var/Keychains
- Right-click on each of the two files you just copied, click on Properties and change the permission to 755.as shown below:
- Copy the file keychain-2.db (from /Private/var/Keychains) to your computer and then delete it from your iPhone
- Now download certs.zip from here and extract the following four files from it:
- Copy these files to the same directory (/Private/var/Keychains) on your iPhone.
- In WinSCP, click on “Command” from the menu and then click on “Open Terminal” while you are on the /Private/var/Keychains directory on your iPhone.
- Type “./inject” in Console(Terminal) and click enter. This will now generate another keychain-2.db file on your iPhone.
- Close WinSCP session. Disconnect your iPhone from computer and uninstall Ping! and any Push capable app on your iPhone if you havent already done so.
- Reboot your iPhone.
Second Step : Install Ping!
- Now install Ping! Voila! You should now have fully Push capable unlocked and jailbroken iPhone! And Ping! should be working. Don't forget to ping me - yomtej. To tell me if you were successfull or not.