Reading and effective note–making – my "POMODORO" experience
Writing about web page http://www.thinkbuzan.com; www.pomodorotechnique.com
On Friday, I went to the Reading and Note-Making Workshop. I was filling unsertain about how should I search and catch all important information for PMA. To be more precise, my problem was poor concentrationon doing the same work. I mean...How many of you have ever find yourself reading article or book and in the end you realize that didn't get it, beacouse all the time you were thinking about irrelevant things?
This workshop gave lots of valuable advices of how to stay focused on reading and at the same time make notes. Our tutor told us about POMADORO technique. Check it! I found it very useful.
There are 5 basic rules, which make your reading much effective. So there they are:
- Find out how much efford the activity reqired from you. In my case, I just put the timer how much time I spent on reading and analizing one article. - 1 hour for 10 pages
- Protect yourself from internal and external intoruptions. I just put my phone in the bag and log out the skype.
- Next time reading article I have to spend the same time but with the skimming the text before and reviewing after.
- Plan your time according to the time when you are most productive
- Use a pointer (finger or pen) to guide your eyes down the page. I allways neglected this rule, but just today I spend 20 min less reading the article.
For me this thechnique is a tool to stay focused on the task and spend time effectively. These are basic things that probably everybody know, but usually neglect. This rules can be also applied to other working processes.